“The Mental Capacity Act 2005 provides a legal framework for acting and making decisions on behalf of individuals who lack capacity to make specific decisions for themselves. The Act is intended to assist and support people who may lack capacity and to discourage anyone involved in their care from being overly restrictive or controlling. It also aims to balance an individual’s right to make decisions for themselves with their right to be protected from harm if they lack capacity to protect themselves ” MCA 2005, Code of Practice.
This session will enable the attendee to understand, recognise and know how to use the Mental Capacity Act and Code of Practice to support their practice.
Skills learned in this session empower the healthcare professional to keep the individual at the centre of their practice, fulfilling their duty of care and is relevant to all settings.
• To understand the duty of care under the Mental Capacity Act (2005) and Code of Practice.
• To understand the five key principles behind the Act and the way they affect how it’s put in practice.
• To understand what the Act means by acting in the best interests of someone lacking capacity to make a decision for themselves, and describes the checklist set out in the Act for working out what is in someone’s best interest.
• To understand how the Mental Capacity Act, advance care planning and consent are connected.
• To raise awareness of the new Liberty Protection Safeguards
There are no prerequisites for this course. This course is designed for the non-registered workforce although it would be a suitable refresher for any healthcare professional.
Please note booking terms and conditions apply
Please use the following link for directions to the Hospice:
What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event?
There is free parking at the Hospice car park and local on road parking
How can I contact the organiser with any questions?
Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event?
Is my registration fee or ticket transferable?
You can transfer your ticket to another person or to another event, please see full terms and conditions on our website
Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn't match the person who attends?